Thursday, June 19, 2014

BUY AMERICAN--BY AMERICANS

I drive a 2013 Honda Civic. Prior to that I owned 2 Honda Accords. Why? Because over the years I have owned 8 Hondas, put hundreds of thousands of miles on them in total, and never ever had to take any of them in for repairs of any kind. Not once. Not ever. That is reliability with a capital R.

I recently got into a heated discussion with a gentleman who took me to task for buying a Japanese car. He said I should "buy American," and that it was people like me who were responsible for sending jobs overseas and causing unemployment in this country. I let him have his say, then set him straight with a few facts that shut him up about American job loss.

I told him the following: 80% of the Civic's content was manufactured in America by American factory workers; Hondas are assembled in Ohio by American assemblyline workers; the cars are delivered to the showrooms by American Temaster union truckers; an Amercian saleman received the commission; an American owned dealership shared in the profit; American techs service the cars; American warehouses and warehouse workers handle the replacement parts.

In other words, if millions of people like me stopped buying Japanese cars, hundreds of thousands of American workers would lose their jobs. Too many people fail to see beyond the tip of their nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment