Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Protein: Friend and Foe

Medical researchers have recently made some major discoveries regarding proteins in our diet. Those tiny buggers are the building blocks of every cell in our body, and the accepted idea was the more protein, the better our health. That view was altered to some degree when research after World War II indicated that too much protein in the diet could actually be harmful. Lab animals fed low protein diets had double the lifespans of animals fed high protein diets. That was enough to convince me, so I shifted to a low protein diet, primarily by reducing the amount of red meat that I ate to one to two servings a week maxium. I replaced the red meat with pasta, chicken, turkey and fish.

Now researchers have done a semi-reversal. New studies have shown that people between the ages of 50-66 who consume a high protein diet have a signifigantly higher mortality rate. No big surprise. However, after the age of 66, a high protein diet actually reduces mortality rates. There are two primary reasons for this: 1)The diets of seniors are often lacking sufficient protein and other nutrients. 2) As we age, our bodies are less able to utilize the protein we ingest. Therefore, those of us over 66 actually benefit from increased amounts of protein.

So, a change of plans. Looks like I increase my protein intake. No, that doesn't mean I  pig out on double bacon cheeseburgers, but it does mean increasing my intake of leaner cuts of meat, and a bit more low fat and non-fat dairy products.

The moral of the story is this: If you're between 50 and 66, eat less protein and consume more grains, veggies, pasta, and much leaner cuts of meat. Over 66, increase your lowfat and non-fat dairy intake, as well as consuming more leaner cuts of meat. Under 50, more booze, illegal drugs and Big Macs. Just kidding. I need you youngbloods to stay healthy. Somebody has to pay for my Social Security benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment